Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Almost a New Year!

Wow, what a great response I had to my last post! I loved reading the thoughtful questions that were posted! It was hard to pick just one to answer, so I'll answer a few. ;) If your question is below, please email me your address so I can send you a few stamps. {grin}


Question #1:
ScrapAloha said...
Merry Christmas! What was the most important thing you have learned so far in your business experience?


ScrapAloha, Hmmm...that would have to be..."Get everything in writing" I mean everything. Anytime something is said, even in passing, get it in writing. I could give you tons of examples, but it might hurt some feelings.

One good example though is when I was told a certain company (starts with a 'd') was going to hire me to run the entire company (ib), so they asked me to fly across the country and meet with them. Of course I went...long story short, they changed their minds and I was out the plane fare, hotel costs and airport parking. {OUCH!}

That's just one example. I think I let my heart lead me more than my brain. ;)

Question #2:
Jingle said...
Merry Christmas! If it makes you feel any better I finally got all the cards made and they are still sitting in a neat stack in my scrapbook room! I know...it figures! Hopefully I'll get some handed out tonight, at least. So, here is my question...with being so amazingly busy, being a working mom and such, how do you make time for yourself to craft and then how do you make the most of that time. I'm not a Mom, but I do work full time, commute 10 hours a week, volunteer a ton, and make time to spend with my husband and it can get tricky! Thanks for considering my question!


Jingle, Ok, I'll be honest, I chose this question for two reasons. One, because I have a friend named Jingle. (Yes, it's her real name!) and two, to pay a tribute to my wonderful husband. How do I find time? Honestly, I don't. My house is a mess. Really. Especially my office and bedroom. The downstairs looks decent, but that's only because my hubby vacuums and cleans. (He also cooks when he is home and does the laundry. I am so blessed!)

I also stay up until at least midnight. I like to create at night. Even most of my blog posts are at night. I'm a night owl. And let me tell you, I am NOT a morning person. Hubby gets up at 4:30 am to work out and read the bible, paper, etc. I try to sleep until at least 8 unless I have carpool. ;)

Question #3:
by Shelly said...
Merry Christmas Stephanie! I absolutely love your videos. Each time I watch them I get totally inspired. My question is, If you knew ahead of time what was going to happen to Inque would you still have done it?


Shelly, Thanks for loving my videos. I love making them! This was my favorite question! The answer, Yes. I would of still signed up. ;) I have learned so much in terms of business, dealing with employees, graphic art, sourcing overseas, photography, videography, the list is endless. I might of lost a little, but what I have gained far out weighs the loss.

I met so many incredible people! I worked with some great and talented individuals! I was so happy. I mean, what type of crazy person works at 10pm on Christmas Eve?!? I can answer that. It's someone that deeply loves her job and the people she works with. ;)

At the same time, though, it was wonderful this Christmas to not have any of the work thoughts creep into my family time. Not once did I feel like I needed to check the computer for emails. It was very freeing. ;)

Ok, the random chosen comment is from:
#54
Margaret said...
Good thing you aren't a guy or for sure somebody would want to know... boxers or briefs! My question is, of the four seasons, which one do you like designing for best (rubber stamps or whatever you are up to now) and why?Being a early spring baby I find myself enjoying the design of spring cards with flowers and eggs and bunnies. What about you?


Margaret....Boxers or briefs....anything BUT a thong (those are crazy!) :)

Answer to your real question....Hands down...Spring! I have two girls. Flowers rule my life. ;)

Ok, so, if I answered your question, send me your address (via email). If I didn't answer it, please forgive me and post it again!!! There were so many great questions, I wanted to answer them all...but this post would be too long! {grin} So, please post your question on this post and I'll pick a few next week.

Big hugs, and Happy New Year!
Stephanie

27 comments:

Meliza P. said...

Hi Stephanie!

Unfortunately, my question didn't get answered last week. So, I'll ask it again! :)

I have so many papers, embellishments, stamps (I bought your IB starter kit with 248 stamps. LOVE it!), and other supplies, that I don't know where to start when scrapbooking.

QUESTION: How do you choose which products, colors, etc. you'll be using on a certain layout?

THANK YOU! =)

Michelle said...

OK, here is my question...
What is your essential scrapbooking item, i.e. if you had to choose one thing you couldn't live without, what would it be?
And one more question...
Is your IB starter kit still available? I bought one for my sis for Christmas last year and she loves it. I've been thinking I need to get one for myself. (Too bad sis lives too far away to share!)

Jingle said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question! I can say that I do have the advantage of a cooking and cleaning husband, so that is nice! Thanks, again! Happy New Year!

krisone said...

I am glad your Christmas was just as you wanted. Mine was too. Spending it with my 2 children an 4 grandchildren is the only way I would ever want to spend it.

On to my question which is different from last time now that I have had a chance to think.

What was the very first stepping stone to your
illustrious career and how old were you?

We all know of your creativity and talents but everyone has to start somewhere. So how about it, what was your stepping stone and how old were you ?

Happy New Year!!!

krisone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
krisone said...

I forgot... Congrats to the winners! All great questions.

Kris said...

I have to say that IB lost a great marketing person because you were the total reason for me to drive over an hour just to get some IB stamps! I had watched several of your fantastic videos and was so inspired, I had to have them right then! So, what inspires you to create when you just don't feel like it or have so many other house and family things you need to do?

Carolyn Mcavoy said...

Congrats to the winners...all were great Q's and the answers WOW! Great job Stephanie :-)...
My husband also does house cleaning,laundry and of course the man's job...He's the youngest of 5 sisters...What background does your hubby come from?
But the main ? I have is...How did you and your hubby meet? Where you high school sweet hearts or was it totally love at first site?...my husband and I were love at first site...Was your first meeting romantic,passionate or dreamy?
The sum up these questions...
How did you both meet? all other Q's would be cool if you answered the others...
I'm sure others would want to see your answers on these...

Karen L said...

Congrats to the winners...all very good questions!
So my question this time is:
What type of educational or experiencial background brought you to the point where you are now? Have you always known you'd do something artistic or did you just kind of fall into it?Were you one of those kids who always made handmade cards and gifts for your family?!

SHartl said...

This is fun reading the answers to the questions, but it just makes me want to know more! I can't believe how much Katie looks like you, so cute! I have great memories from my childhood of spending time crafting with my mom. So, my question to you is , "Do your daughters craft and do you ever craft together for Mother-Daughter time? If so, what was your favorite project over the years that you did with them?"

Shelly said...

Thanks for answering my question! I sent you an email via the "email the author" feature. I hope it gets to you. You are so sweet! ~Shelly

lfitz said...

If you were new to stamping what would be the essentials?

ScrapAloha said...

Mahalo for answering my question. I really appreciate the sage advice and hopefully it will help others so that it won't happen to them!

I'm glad to hear someone else's home is a mess (well, part of it) because maybe there is hope for me LOL!

Keep that DH of yours LOL. Maybe he can give mine some pointers hee hee. :)

Have a wonderful New Year! Hauoli La Hanau and thanks again!

artycrafty said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

When you design stamps - what is your process?

Debbie Buckland

Colette said...

Hi Stephanie!

Hope you had a great time on First Night!! I live in Boston and it was definitely FREEEEZZZZIIIIINNNNNNNGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here's my Question again:

I just picked up rubber stamping and bought a TON of your stamps *grin*
I wanted to stamp using different colors and I wanted to use markers. However, as a student, my funds are limited, I'm wondering if it was possible to stamp using regular crayola water-washable markers or do i have to use stamping-markers such as whispers?

Thanks!!

Sherri said...

Hi Stephanie,

I knew nothing of IB until I received an email one day for a contest. I was one of a thousand winners of a stamp that coordinates with the Nightengale set. This was awesome because I fell in love with IB stamps which led me to you and your videos!! You are a doll! Your enthusiasm and sincerity just leap through the computer and you are just so entertaining to watch. (Maybe you should pursue something in video?? At least do something for us on your blog! :)) Anyway, my question for you is this:

How did you become a stamp designer? What lead you to your job with IB?

I am so happy you are keeping up your blog so we can follow you in your future pursuits!!

Happy New Year from a new fan!

Rebecca said...

Do you have any advice for someone who loves scrapbooking as a hobby but would like to take their craft to a career status? It seems like the industry has become very competitive and there are so many talented people out there, which can be both inspiring and encouraging at the same time. I would love to hear how you got started and what you advise. Thanks!

chris said...

Happy newyear!
I find it hard to have time to stamp or scrapbook but my daughter who is 15 is camera happy she loves snapping photos of everything such as the longhorn cattle beside us which are so photogenic as for me i'm glas there is delete on the camers LOL so on to my question we probably take 500 or more photos a year easily that we just can't seem to delete so do you develope all the photos you take or how do you save them which is the safest way to save them without losing them.
Thanks chris
justinkingaround

chris said...

Happy newyear!
I find it hard to have time to stamp or scrapbook but my daughter who is 15 is camera happy she loves snapping photos of everything such as the longhorn cattle beside us which are so photogenic as for me i'm glas there is delete on the camers LOL so on to my question we probably take 500 or more photos a year easily that we just can't seem to delete so do you develope all the photos you take or how do you save them which is the safest way to save them without losing them.
Thanks chris
justinkingaround

Takisha said...

hey Stephanie!
so glad you are doing better! I can't wait to see what you've got in store - ha ha ha
I have two questions, one is what type of photo editing software do you use and the other is other than submitting your stuff to magazines what else did you do to get your name out there?
thanks
kisha

Robin said...

Hi Stephanie-

I admire your courage and your strength! Thanks for being open and honest with all of us!

My question: Will you continue to post your AWESOME technique videos on YouTube/ your blog??

Mandy said...

Since you have had a career in stamping/scrapbooking, do you feel like you love it like you would have if it had not been "work"? I ask this because I'm so much more excited about new products than most of the people working at stores, that I think to myself, "They don't love it at all"
Thanks Stephanie!

MaryNSC said...

OK Looks Like U got to start a forum here.. WE NEED ANSWERS..LOLOLOLOL
HUGS

Ashley Bunn said...

Hi Stephanie!

I wanted to let you I truly love the stamps you have created and own MANY of them. My question is is there a certain technique or skill you find yourself using over again when you are creating cards, layouts, etc? Or am I just in a rut??
Thank You!

Jolene said...

Hi Stephanie!
So glad to hear you are doing good! I love your videos, you are very inspiring! I'm a mom of three girls (9,5,4) and I wanted to ask you: Do you have a secret to keeping your stamp/scrapbooking things organized? I have the problem of forgetting about the different things/tools I have purchased in the past to use on my scrapbooking pages. Then sometime later (much later) I'll run across it. Thanks so much! Jolene

Brittany said...

Hi Stephanie :)

Thanks for your awesome answers to the winners last week. I was just curious, do you still have access to the idea gallery from the old IB website, and if so, could you share it with us somehow? I've been stamping for a couple years now, but loved seeing everyone's projects using your stamps. I, too, own several of your stamp sets and LOVE them! (I finally found an online vendor that has the sets I don't have...I'm going to need to snatch them up soon).
I hope your new year is going great!

peaches said...

I haven't had any free time to go shopping on-line, but I'm glad that I had you in my "favorites"!! I too believe that things happen for a reason!

After looking at your photo of your daughter at the beach laughing with her girlfriend, my question to you is what do you do to keep the humor/laughter in your life?

Post a Comment

We love comments!

If you have a question or a Customer Service issue, please contact us via our website. We do not always see blog comments in a timely manner. Thanks!